March 27, 2012

The "Open Your Mouth" Filter Test

My seven year old daughter has been struggling with how to be a sweet girl. So, I proposed something to her last night. Before she says anything to her brothers, her mom or I, she would run it through an internal filter. I asked to her to ask herself, "Is what I'm about to say kind? Is it necessary and is it true?" Once what she wanted to say met those criteria, I asked her to run what she was going to say through another filter. "When I speak, do I speak the truth in love?"

I think that we all can, especially me, learn from this advice. Think about the things that you are telling your coworkers, friends, and family. Do they pass this open your mouth filter test?

"A careless word may kindle strife.
A cruel word my wreck a life.
A timely word may level stress.
But a loving word can heal and bless."


No comments:

Post a Comment