September 25, 2012

Top Ten Lists

Papillion Days Parade in Downtown Papillion, NE
Papillion Days Parade
I do not watch David Letterman very often but I know he is know for making top ten lists.  And whenever someone or something we know makes one of those lists we feel a certain pride, whether it be the Huskers football team or volleyball team, or sometimes the city.  I remember last year when Papillion was ranked number 5 on the Money Magazine best places to live.  This morning I was doing something when I heard that Papillion was ranked high again and thought it must be the same list.  Imagine my surprise when I went to the 2012 list and Papillion did not even make the top 100.  I was really wondering what had happened, then I looked at the entire list for both 2011 and 2012.  I do not think any city repeated.  The 2011 list only included cities with less than 50,000 population, while the 2012 list only included cities with over 50,000 population.  So even though Papillion was not on the list at all it felt good to see that Bellevue made this list this year coming in at 36 out of the top 100.  They are still calling them small towns, but they range from 50,000 population up to 263,000 for Henderson NV, the largest.  But Papillion is a top small town as ranked by livability.com.  And since I am a resident of Papillion (outside the city but with a Papillion address) I continue to have a certain pride in that designation.  If you want to read the livability.com article visit http://livability.com/papillion/ne/papillion-ne-top-small-town.  And when larger cities are ranked it is nice to know that Omaha can also come up near the top in many areas.  We have a lot to be proud of here in the Omaha metro area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment